Saturday, December 11, 2010

Lino Cut and Printing

For my Editorial Painting class as our last project of the semester we are illustrating the novella "The Big Wave" by Peter S. Buck. The story is set in the by gone days of Japan, and so I decided that using a similar technique to the Japanese woodblock print would be appropriate. With the help of my friends Veronica, and Ray, and a few instructors, I'm attempting a linoleum print for the first time! Here's the "lino cut".


The linoleum comes as the grey cut away color, so to help me see what I cut away as I worked, I colored over the top of it with a blue sharpie.

Here's a sneak peak of the prints and the process of printing. It's true that in two hours you can kick out near 20 pieces, but it sure can be a messy process with all that ink around!


Oops. Don't itch anything is basically the rule of thumb I learned today. Artists are nice people. I ran into several with my face looking like that, and none of them stared or laughed at me. Just a common workplace hazard I guess.

Thanks again, Veronica. I couldn't have done it without all your help and knowledge!

2 comments: