Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Digital Revolution




Well, in order to stay competitive, I've decided to make digital painting a regular tool in my arsenal. I just got a brand new Wacom Intuos 4 tablet, and I'm lovin' it! It's a lot of fun. So, here are just a couple of master studies from John Singer Sargent and Joaquin Sorolla (respectively). Neither took me very long, and I didn't bother to texture them or get too fancy, and I'm still happy with the results! So, look forward to some digital pieces from me in the near future!

By the way, for those who don't know, digital painting is not any easier or better than traditional painting. I don't trace anything: I still draw and paint and make creative decisions like I would otherwise. The upside is that digital does expedite my process, because I can "Edit, Undo" and change colors at the click of a button. The speed and the act of being "paperless" is what ultimately makes it more desirable in certain situations.

1 comment:

  1. We're in the same boat Emily! I'm learning the digital media as of now. I rented an Intous 4 tablet and I really really like it. It takes some getting used to and my first few pieces may not be as amazing as this but I'll improve! As for the pieces themselves, well done! I actually enjoy the rougher and less detailed works. :]

    ReplyDelete