Thursday, October 22, 2009

First Oil Painting





Okay, I maybe lying a little. I have done maybe 2 or 3 other little oil paintings with alkyd oil paints, but this is my first large painting with real oils and mediums. The painting itself is ... oh... In inches I want to say 25x30, I forgot the size in centimeters. The medium we used was a mixture of 2 parts linseed oil to 1 part stand oil, 1 part damaar varnish, and 1 part essence of turpentine. As far as the medium goes it's kind of nice because it dries a little slower than liquin, but it's a little too shiny for my taste, so maybe I could use less or just omit the damaar varnish in the mixture. So, ta-da! This is about the only this I've done this half of the semester that I really enjoy. I think I would like to do a little more work on the basket. Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. WOW Em!
    This is great! That wine bottle is totally made out of glass and I love how your leather sketchbook has a few scuffs and scratches! Everything is looking really nice except for the shadow of the bottle. The ghostly outline around it distracts me.

    Plus, I can't believe you stole my wallet and took it all the way to Italy!

    Do more oil paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, darn basket...with it's...realistic-ness. Fix that! I'm kidding! It looks fantastic!!! Great work!

    ReplyDelete