Saturday, March 24, 2012

Lancelot and Guinevere


Hey! Guess what? Lancelot and Guinevere are going digital. I described my initial idea for the painting here. I thought I wanted to do this in oil, but as I working on the color and value studies I said to myself, "Self- why would you draw this over again when this is looking so nice?" And so I've decided to do it digitally.

It's moving along SO FAST. Lightning fast. I can't believe it. I'm loving how it's looking, but there's still a lot to do. I want Lancelot to look a lot older, and Guinevere too. Also, I'm not dead set on the background situation, but I do know that I want it to be ambiguous and keep all of the center and interest on our very personal, close moment here between our dude and dudette. I also need to do some more research to make known their individual connections to Arthur: I'm thinking she needs a wedding ring with a dragon symbol on it, and his clothes could have the same symbol, or something similar.

Below are some photos of my initial thumbnail ideas.


I'm also including some of my initial reference that helped the idea to form into what it has. I won't show my photo reference as a courtesy to my reference model, and to myself because we both looked fairly ridiculous, and that's just not something I need to extol on the internet, haha! But here are some other photos that got the brain juices going. Perusing the internet, reading King Arthur stories, and viewing real 14th and 13th century medieval art at the Detroit Institute of Arts are how I went about collecting my stockpile of images. These are just a few. I also looked at other works of art done on Lancelot and Guinevere to give myself an idea of what else has been done on this well known subject. All in all, progress is good, I think it's gonna be a good one!



Edmund Blair Leighton - The Accolade (Guinevere and Lancelot)



John Collier - Guinevere going A-Maying


No comments:

Post a Comment