Monday, March 12, 2012

Pulp Magazine

I did it! I got a painting done in one day and submitted it to the ArtOrder pulp magazine challenge! Now, there's always room to improve before the deadline of the real call for art, but for now, this is what I was able to accomplish.

For this post, I thought it might be interesting for me to walk you through my thought process as I show the painting progress. Without further ado...

I decided to do this slightly differently, and follow the method I saw Donato Giancola use in his most recent video, which I blogged about here. I gessoed a board, drew directly on it, then sealed the drawing with matte medium.


Then, I layed in some color with acrylic paint to get a basic feel for the color I was going to lay down in oil.


Beginning stages in oil. Things are left blurry so the edges I want to be crisp and clear (around my center of interest) can be snapped in later.



A whole general feel is visible now in oil. We're headed in the right direction, but the darkness needs to be bumped up and the saturation brought down in the shadow areas.



Mmhmmmm! Do you love that warm floor with the light coming in? Do you love how their shadows are red, and her dress is red so that we see they're in cahoots? Do you love her purse on the couch so that we don't think she just pulled the gun out from behind her back out of nowhere like a cartoon character? Me too.


But now, and you can't tell in this shot, but now he just looks like he's looking down at the shadow, and for some reason that just doesn't give the glazed over, "oh no" look I'm going for. Also, I've dulled back the top of her red dress to help her lean back into the shadows. Before, with the red all the same on the dress, she just looked weirdly un-proportional, and kind of like she just had purple skin.


Uh... but them's crazy eyes. Not going for that either...


Mm, enough "oh no my life is in danger", mixed with anger. Maybe not enough anger, but eh.

Pretty good. This is what I sent in. There could definitely stand to be some real dark darks. So there will be touch ups before the deadline in April. In the meantime, keep your fingers crossed that I do well on the ArtOrder challenge! You should check it out, there were lots of different interpretations!

No comments:

Post a Comment